Two of our super-resolution microscopes are housed within the MRC Human Genetics Unit in the ESRIC facility managed by Dr. Ann Wheeler. The Human Genetics Unit is part of the Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine (IGMM) at the University of Edinburgh.
The site is situated at the Western General Hospital (Edinburgh, EH4 2XU) between Crewe Road South and Telford Road in the Craigleith area of Edinburgh. The site is easily accesibile by the number 19, 29 and 37 Lothian bus service, which is £1.60 for a single ticket and £4.00 for a day ticket. You can arrive by taxi, which will be approximately £9 from the city centre (Central Taxis +44 131 229 2468). There is parking on the side streets off the main road but charges and time restrictions do apply.
The Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine
Western General Hospital
Edinburgh, EH4 2XU
Access procedures fro ESRIC at IGMM
All ESRIC users need to follow the first initial steps:
- Create an account on the ESRIC booking software
- Request a project (this provides us with information about your research)
ESRIC researchers can access ESRIC equipment housed in the IGMM through the pathways outlined below in A or B. The IGMM is a bio-medical research institute all workers in the IGMM need to follow IGMM procedures.
use the equipment with the support of the ESRIC staff - please give us a weeks’ notice minimum.
B. Use the equipment independently
If you want to use the equipment independently please follow the below pathway:
- Fill in the IGMM access form via the ESRIC booking software, bring this form to your induction.
- Attend an IGMM and building health and safety and fire safety (*) inductionThe IGMM ESRIC Imaging suite offers the opportunity to support live work and sample preparation. However an introduction to Biosafety induction may be necessary (*)
- Introduction to key IGMM support personnel in the unit carried out by ESRIC staff
- Get access to the building and booking calendar
As part of our responsibility to our funders we require appropriate acknowledgement in any publications arising from use of the ESRIC facilities.
(*) If you can produce evidence of having attended University of Edinburgh courses for fire safety and Biosafety you can be exempted from these courses.
IGMM ESRIC Staff: Ann Wheeler, Matt Pearson
IGMM imaging facility staff: Harris Morrison, Ahmed Fetit
IGMM lab management: Stewart McKay, Maggie McClean